This summer there will be approximately 40 percent of Americans who will leave home to go on vacation, according to surveys that have been conducted. Leaving home can present problems if the house is not properly prepared to be emptied against burglary.
There are some smart tips for summer vacation time that can help you avoid being in the percentage of homes that are forced to enter.
1. The first rule before you go on vacation is to have a home security system and test it to make sure it works properly. There should also be a complete overhaul of all doors and windows to make sure everything is securely closed. If any locks need attention, do it now, not when you return from vacation.
2. The second rule of leaving a vacation home is to make it look like there is someone at home, this includes if the person who intends to enter gets close enough to the structure to listen. To prevent the theft of sensors from lamps, televisions and radios, this will make the house look like someone is home, no matter what time of day or night they approach it.
3. The alarm system should be checked before leaving and armed; it is also possible to alert the operators of the monitoring center that you will be on vacation.
4. Rooms that are located where someone can see the contents of the room or if the family is there or not should have the blinds and curtains closed. Doing this means that the person entering will not know if there is anyone in the house, or what they might find in the house.
5. Stop the mail and the newspaper, don’t make it look like they are piling up and in the mind of the person who wants to enter the residents will know that it is safe, because the family is far away. If it is a short weekend trip, arrange for a neighbor to pick up the mail and newspaper.
6. Turn off the phone, an unanswered phone will lend you food for the thief to think about if the family is home.
7. Make sure that any keys that are hidden outside the house for emergencies are stored in a place inside the house.
Spending the little time it will take to employ these ideas is a sure way to help protect the home more and prevent someone from breaking in. The advantages far outweigh the lack of use of smart tips that will make it look like someone is home, even during the day with the sound of a radio or television.
The person who breaks into a residence wants the least amount of resistance against it; this means a keyless window, no security system in the home, and unconscious signs that no one is home. This may be the house that has no lights that turn off and on at night, or it may be the mail and newspapers that are piling up, rather than being brought home.